Thursday, March 20, 2008

March Madness...Spring Break!

My Final Four

North Carolina, Georgetown, UCLA, and Texas


So here is my thinking about the Final Four...

1. Kansas hasn't followed through since I have been following the tourney, and they kill people's brackets every year!!! Why is this, everyone agrees there is talent all over the place at Rock Chalk KU, but when it comes down to winning a ball game in the tourney, name a guy on that team you trust in the clutch. They don't have a guy with the cahones to knock down a big shot in a big spot. Some have claimed that part of their problem stems from the 'system' working so well during the season, they don't develop a player with the big ego, big shot that can create his own game winner. To win 6 straight you are going to have to pull out some tough games, I don't buy Kansas.

2. So that puts my faith in Clemson.... oh the horror! Am I blindsided by my love of Tiger Football Tradition? Maybe. But I like Mays down low and Rivers & Oglesby jacking shots from all over the floor! Oglesby was taking shots from 30 feet out in the ACC final, amazing. First tourney appearance since '98 I have them jumping Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen before gracefully bowing out to a more polished Georgetown Team. (But Briton you say, Clemson can't shoot worth a lick from the FT line, how will they beat Kansas in a close game? Well I only have that matchup on paper, I fully intend for Kansas to choke to Kent State....) But it is Clemson, so I will probably be rewarded with a first round 10 point loss to 'Nova as Jay Wright and his perfect hair is paraded around Tampa.

3. Maybe it is just that I have seen UF play UCLA and Georgetown over the past couple of tourney's so I am more familiar with their teams. I know people aren't sold on Hibbert being tough for 6 games and there are questions about the Bruins injuries (we need the Prince on the floor!) But I really think these are two polished teams poised to win it all. If Howland can't do it this year, it might not get done!

4. I have watched Texas and UNC the most this year. I like both teams. If Rick Barnes doesn't get in his team's way, UT can take it to the Final Four. I talked to Psycho T before making my picks and he promised not to blink the whole Tourney and promised that Lawson was going to continue to sprint down the floor and score end to end lay up baskets in 2.6 seconds (see Carolina's ACC run where multiple players did this in multiple games) You have to get back against the Tar Heels.

5. Another year without Duke in the Sweet Sixteen (Hooray), 'Zona makes it interesting before falling to Xavier (who's players all jersey pop while chanting "Midmajor Who"), The OJ Mayo Show outshines Beasley, Siena gets biggest round 1 upset, George Mason does not get round 2 at playing Cinderella, and the SEC are all home and comfortable by the end of the Sweet Sixteen...


Finally: The pick!

UCLA 79 UNC 73

Win won for the Wizard of Westwood, return basketball to its natural order after the Gators (NIT CHAMPS - 3 in a row however you can get it!) have run roughshod for two years. Three Reasons Carolina won't win: 1. They hate playing Defense, 2. Roy Williams spends too much time in the tanning bed before the Final Four press conferences thereby losing his mental edge on Howland 3. I know too many Carolina fans and they are pretty much insufferable.



Caveat: Memphis could so win the whole thing.... (I love March Madness!)

No comments: